Bangin' Banana Bread Recipe

 Banana Bread- My way!


I am a big fan of banana bread, but at a cafe it'll set you back  any where between $3-$5 which can add up, and its always so tasty I hate to think of how much butter and sugar is in it!!
 
so I had been searching for a healthy recipe which didn't compromise on tastiness and came across this one on my Yummly app. I have since played around with it + below is my version which is now a household staple, even for my super fit + healthy other half, Chris



Ingredients


2 cups unbleached flour (+ a bit extra for dusting the pan)
1 1/4 cup of goodies (see below notes)
3/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Chia Seeds (optional)*

3 very ripe large bananas (the more speckeled the better)**
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
2 large eggs lightly beaten
6 Tbs unsalted butter/margarine/table spread, melted & cooled (+ bit extra for the pan)
1 tsp vanilla extract


Notes


I use either toasted walnuts, frozen raspberries or dark choc drops/chips (60-70% cocoa) or a combination of two of any of the three (dark choc & raspberries pictured above). You can play with the ratios to find your preference. For me, when using raspberries & choc I would use a generous cup of frozen raspberries & roughly 100g choc bits. But if using walnuts and choc, I would do roughly 3/4 cup (or 100-150g) of each

*If adding Chia seeds, I also add an extra Tablespoon of plan yoghurt to balance the absorption of the chia seeds

**I often freeze bananas which are getting old and speckled, besides being a practical way of storing them until needed, it also makes them super sweet and tasty

Method


1. With an oven rack in a lower-middle position and heat the oven to 175°C (350°F) degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Dust the pan with flour, tapping out the excess.

2. If using walnuts: spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.

3. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, (and walnuts +/or choc chips) together in a large bowl.

4. Mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon in a medium bowl. Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just combined and the batter looks thick and chunky. If using raspberries add in at this point, fold in gently to avoid breaking them up. 

5. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

6. Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Once cooled I slice and wrap in cling film or backing paper so they are ready to grab and go during the week! can be stored in the fridge for a week or in the freezer if needed.

enjoy, Sah xx


0 comments:

Post a Comment